Prevent and Manage Waste
We produce waste-free products in waste-free facilities to help our customers reduce waste. Our aim is to design products, packaging and supplies that make efficient use of resources, minimize waste, reuse material where feasible and recycle what can't be reused. All Xerox products contain between 0%-5% post-consumer recycled plastic content.
Xerox Supplies Recycling Program
- The Xerox Green World Alliance collection and reuse / recycling program in partnership with our customers, results in millions of cartridges and toner containers returned for reuse or recycling each year.
- As part of our commitment to environmentally responsible business practices, Xerox continues to make improvements to our supplies returns and recycling programs.
- EPEAT Consumables Reporting and Disposition (PDF, 30 KB) ›
Xerox Product Takeback and Recycling Program
- Xerox pioneered the practice of remanufacturing, reusing and recycling of office equipment. Our machines are designed for easy disassembly and durability, contain fewer parts, and are controlled for chemical content.
- Xerox carefully manages suppliers who provide recycling and waste disposal services. An audit process ensures that vendor practices are safe, environmentally sound, and compliant with regulations.
- Globally, our combined returns program (equipment resale or remanufacture in conjunction with parts and consumables reuse and recycling) prevented nearly 47,500 metric tons of waste from entering landfills in 2015.
- Our customers worldwide returned over 2.1 million cartridges, toner and containers and other used supply items, equating to 4,400 metric tons.
- 9,400 metric tons of equipment/parts-related waste was diverted from landfills to recycling at our U.S. Reverse Logistics Center. Globally, that volume rises to 43,000 metric tons.
- Additionally, Xerox collected a total of 1,853,261 lbs. of broader scope products (all Xerox products) through customer equipment return programs in the U.S. during 2014, including 22,653 lbs. through mandated programs and 1,830,608 lbs. through voluntary programs. In 2015, the total increased to 2,057,690 lbs., 43,065 lbs. through mandated programs and 2,014,625 lbs. through voluntary programs.
- Product End of Life (EOL) Characterization Reports (PDF, 50 KB) ›
Packaging Take-back Service for Xerox-Branded Products
- Whenever possible, we encourage you to recycle packaging locally as it reduces greenhouse gas emissions associated with transportation. However, if unable to recycle locally, we offer a packaging take-back and recycling service to our customers for Xerox-branded products, where customers pay for the return shipping and Xerox pays for the recycling. If interested in this service, please send your packaging to: Xerox Corporation, ESSO – Scrap, 6500 State Route 63, Middletown, OH 45044 , ATTN: EPEAT Packaging Returns
- Since the early 1990s, Xerox has maintained an internal initiative known as the Waste-Free Factory.
- This initiative drives the global implementation of an ISO 14001-compliant environmental management system, and helps achieve a 93% recycling rate for non-hazardous materials. Learn more about how we manage environmental performance.
Partnering to Promote Responsible Recycling of E-waste
Xerox joined the Sustainable Electronic Recycling International coalition as a founding member of the "R2 Leader Program". SERI is a non-profit organization devoted to advancing sustainable electronics reuse and recycling globally. R2 Leaders commit to supporting responsible and sustainable electronics repair and recycling as described in the R2 Standard. Additionally, R2 Leaders, including Xerox are taking leadership roles in projects for responsible reuse and recycling around the globe.