Company ProfileXerox* is innovating the way the world communicates, connects and works. We use our expertise to help our customers improve productivity and increase satisfaction. Our employees understand what’s at the heart of work – and all of the forms it can take. They embrace the increasingly complex world of paper and digital. Office and mobile. Personal and social. Every day across the globe – in 160 countries – our technology, software and people successfully navigate these intersections. We automate, personalize, package, analyze and secure information to keep our customers moving at an accelerated pace. For more information visit www.xerox.com.
For Us, Global Is Local
On December 31, 2016, Xerox Corporation completed the separation of its Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) business from its Document Technology and Document Outsourcing (DT/DO) business (the “Separation”). The Separation was accomplished by moving the BPO business into a new legal entity, Conduent Incorporated (“Conduent”), and then distributing one hundred percent (100%) of the outstanding common stock of Conduent to Xerox Corporation stockholders (the “Distribution”). Conduent now is an independent public company listed and traded on the New York Stock Exchange (“NYSE”) under the symbol “CNDT.” Learn more at www.xerox.com.
During 2016 our primary reportable segments were Services (Business Process Outsourcing) and Document Technology.
2016 Revenue by Segment ($ Millions)*
* The Business Process Outsourcing (Services) business is not reported in our segment financial information as it is now classified as a discontinued operation. Accordingly, the Services reportable segment reflects only the financial information for our legacy Document Outsourcing services business and certain other services businesses that were transferred from the BPO business to Xerox prior to the separation.
2016 Revenue by Geography ($ Millions)
2016 Net Income from Continuing Operations: $616 million
Employees: Approximately 37,600 employees worldwide (as of December 31, 2016)
Doing Business in: 160 countries
Founded: In 1906 as The Haloid Company; named Haloid Xerox in 1958; named Xerox Corporation in 1961
Headquarters: Norwalk, Connecticut, U.S.A.
Worldwide Locations: http://www.xerox.com/perl-bin/world_contact.pl
Detailed financial information is presented in our quarterly and annual reports available at www.xerox.com/annualreports.
2017: Our Business
Xerox is a leading global provider of digital print technology and related solutions. Our primary offerings span three main areas: Managed Document Services (which largely represents the Document Outsourcing business that was reported in our Services segment before the separation), Workplace Solutions and Graphic Communications. Our Managed Document Services offerings help customers, ranging from small businesses to global enterprises, optimize their printing and related document workflow and business processes. Xerox led the establishment of this expanding market and continues as the industry leader. Our Workplace Solutions and Graphic Communications products and solutions support the work processes of our customers by providing them with an efficient, cost effective printing and communications infrastructure.
During 2016 our primary reportable segments were Services and Document Technology. The Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) business is not reported in our segment financial information as it is now classified as a discontinued operation. Accordingly, the Services reportable segment reflects only the financial information for our legacy Document Outsourcing services business and certain other services businesses that were transferred from the BPO business to Xerox prior to the separation.
Managed Document Services includes a continuum of solutions and services spanning from managing print to automating processes to managing content. This area includes the Document Outsourcing business, as well as a set of communication and marketing solutions offers that were previously part of BPO, both of which were reported in our Services segment before the separation. Our primary offerings within Managed Document Services are Managed Print Services (MPS), including Workflow Automation Services, and Communication and Marketing Solutions (CMS).
- In our MPS business, we help companies assess and optimize their print infrastructure, secure and integrate their environment and automate and simplify their business processes. We provide the most comprehensive portfolio of MPS services in the industry and are recognized as an industry leader by major analyst firms including Gartner, IDC, Quocirca, InfoTrends and Forrester. As the market leader in MPS, we help clients reduce costs, increase productivity and meet their environmental sustainability goals while supporting their mobile and security needs.
- Our MPS offering targets clients ranging from large, global enterprises, to governmental entities and to small and medium-sized businesses, including those served via our channel partners.
- Our Next Generation Xerox Partner Print Services is a comprehensive suite of services that allows channel partners to support their SMB customers with some of the same best-in-class tools, processes, and workflow solutions developed by Xerox for large enterprises.
- Our Xerox Workflow Automation Services help our customers assess, optimize and automate their workflow in a secure and integrated IT environment. By eliminating ineffective processes, we bring our clients operational excellence in routine workflows as well as industry-specific processes.
- In our CMS business, we help large enterprise and global clients drive effective multi-channel customer communications across different digital and physical touch points. CMS offers a full range of managed services that deliver relevant and timely communications focused on customer acquisition, onboarding or retention. Our portfolio includes Document Publishing Services and Transactional Print Services, which continue to serve our existing and well established print and publishing clients. It also includes an expanded suite of service offerings focused on our new on-line digital services including Collateral Management Services, Demand Generation Services, Inbound and Outbound Digital Services, Product Information Management Services and multi-channel Communication Services.
Workplace Solutions are made up of two strategic product groups, Entry and Mid-Range, which share common technology, manufacturing and product platforms. Workplace Solutions revenues include the sale of products and supplies, as well as the associated technical service and financing of those products.
- Entry comprises desktop monochrome and color printers and multifunction printers (MFPs) ranging from small personal devices to workgroup printers and multifunction printers that serve the needs of office workgroups. Entry products are sold to customers in all segments from SMB to enterprise, principally through a global network of reseller partners and service providers, as well as through our direct sales force.
- Mid-Range comprises products for enterprises of all sizes. These products are sold through dedicated partners, our direct sales force, multi-branded channel partners and resellers worldwide. We are a leader in this area of the market and offer a wide range of multifunction printers, copiers, digital printing presses and light production devices, and solutions that deliver flexibility and advanced features.
Graphic Communications Solutions are designed for customers in the graphic communications, in-plant and production print environments with high-volume printing requirements. These solutions enable full-color, on-demand printing of a wide range of applications, including variable data for personalized content and one-to-one marketing. Graphic Communications Solutions revenues includes the sale of products, software and supplies, as well as the associated technical service and financing of those products.
- Our cut-sheet presses provide graphic communications and commercial printers with high speed, high-volume printing. They are ideal for publishing, transaction printing, print on demand and one-to-one marketing, offering the best in high speed, productivity and resolution and color. We are the worldwide leader in the cut-sheet color and monochrome production industry.
- Our inkjet presses offer a broad range of roll fed, continuous feed printing technologies, including waterless inkjet and aqueous inkjet for vivid color, and toner-based flash fusing for black and white. Our portfolio spans a variety of print speeds, image quality, feeding, finishing and media options. We continue to develop and integrate our production inkjet business to bring the high-end capabilities of toner-based presses such as speed and inline color correction to the more price sensitive market of inkjet.
- Our FreeFlow portfolio of software offerings brings intelligent automation and integration to the processing of print jobs, from file preparation to final production, for a touchless workflow. It helps customers of all sizes address a wide range of business opportunities including automation, personalization and even electronic publishing.
Innovate to Differentiate Our Offerings
Differentiating our offerings is key to our strategy. Together with Fuji Xerox, our joint venture, we invested approximately $1 billion in research, development and engineering in 2016. A critical role of our research is to envision the future and identify new competencies for it. We direct our research and development (R&D) investments to areas such as artificial intelligence, computer vision, machine learning, ethnography, inkjet and digital printing and digital manufacturing, as well as improving quality and reducing the environmental impact of digital printing. We are investing in new and novel applications of printing technology that could offer attractive opportunities in adjacent markets. We expect these activities will deliver incremental value for our customers and drive profitable revenue growth for our business.
Xerox Around the World
We have a broad and diverse base of customers by both geography and industry, ranging from small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) to graphic communications companies, governmental entities, educational institutions and Fortune 1000 corporations. We go to market with a services-led approach and sell our products and services directly to customers through our world-wide sales force and through a network of independent agents, dealers, value-added resellers, systems integrators and the Web. In addition, our wholly-owned subsidiary, Global Imaging Systems (GIS), an office technology dealer comprised of regional core companies in the U.S., sells document management and network integration systems and services. We continued to expand our distribution to small and medium-size businesses in 2016 through GIS's acquisition of two equipment and document services dealer companies.