Greenhouse Gas Emissions

Carbon Dioxide Equivalent Emissions (Thousands of Metric Tons). 2002: 516. 2003: 509. 2004: 481. 2005: 471. 2006: 430. 2007: 408

Greenhouse Gas Inventory

In keeping with the international guidelines of the Greenhouse Gas Protocol developed by the World Resources Institute and the World Business Council for Sustainable Development, Xerox tracks the six major greenhouse gases: carbon dioxide (CO2), methane (CH4), nitrous oxide (N2O), hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), perfluorcarbons (PFCs) and sulfur hexafluoride (SF6). We express our carbon footprint in terms of carbon dioxide equivalents (CO2e). In fact, carbon dioxide accounts for more than 99% of our greenhouse gas emissions.

Xerox’s greenhouse gas inventory includes direct emissions from the combustion of fossil fuels, primarily natural gas, and indirect emissions from purchased electricity and steam at our manufacturing sites, offices and warehouses. The inventory also includes the combustion of gasoline and diesel fuels in our service and sales vehicle fleet. Xerox’s inventory does not yet include optional sources such as employee business travel, contract manufacturing or outsourced product distribution.

Sources of Greenhouse Gas Emissions

Sources of Greenhouse Gas Emissions. Office/Warehouse: 11%. Manufacturing: 67%. Mobile: 22%

In 2007, Xerox greenhouse gas emissions totaled 408,000 metric tons of CO2e. About 62% were indirect emissions from purchased electricity and steam. The remaining 38% were direct emissions from the combustion of natural gas, gasoline and diesel fuel. Xerox-owned or leased facilities such as manufacturing sites, offices and warehouses are associated with 78% of our greenhouse gas emissions. The remaining 22% are emissions from our service and sales vehicle fleet and other mobile sources.

To learn more about how we’re meeting our greenhouse gas emission goals, visit www.xerox.com/environment.